Having a clean house is important to me but unfortunately, we don’t always get a chance to clean up. Here are a few things we do each day to make our household that little bit less chaotic.
- MAKE THE BED – first thing I do every morning is make the beds. I don’t know why this one is so important to me. Maybe because even if I do nothing for the rest of the day (depending on Millie’s mood) I can say I did the bare minimum. Andrew gets up with Millie most mornings (when he’s not a gym) letting me sleep a little longer. Before I even leave our room I make our bed. I love getting into a made bed each night. This can only be made better by getting into a bed with fresh sheets (be still my beating hearts). Then Millie’s bed gets made on the way downstairs.
- DISHES – Andrew normally does the dishes in the morning and the evening. I love a clean kitchen, but I never get a chance to clean it. Those few time I do get a chance, everything is done. Windows, benches, cupboards. I start and just can’t stop. But I am so grateful when Andrew washes the dishes and wipes the benches.
- SHOES OFF – As soon as you walk in the door shoes come off in this house. Saves on vacuuming and since everything is going in Millie’s mouth at the moment this is a lifesaver. Plus the dirt up Buderim is red. I mean RED, RED. And since we have light carpets in the lounge room and bedrooms it’s a bit of a much.
- WASHING – We are lucking in our house as we have a laundry shoot in our bathroom, so I make a point each day to pick up the cloths from our hampers and throw then down the ‘shoot’. Even if I don’t get to put a load on every day, all the washing is in the same place and I’m not running up and down the stairs making sure that everything is there. I also don’t like the washing hanging on the back veranda too long. When in the kitchen you look straight out the window onto it and it makes me feel a little cluttered.
- CLEAN THE LIVING ROOM – Once Millie is down Andrew or I put everything back where it belongs. Toys in draws, pillows on couches, etc. I know it’s going to be a chaotic mess the next morning but I always feel a bit more accomplished when I know I am going to bed with a clean loungeroom. I also pick up and put things back where they belong when Millie has her naps during the day. When you walk in our house the lounge is the first thing you see, so I feel it needs to be at least somewhat presentable even to only create the illusion of a clean house.
Most people say don’t procrastinate when it comes to cleaning. However in my case when I procrastinate cleaning is the first thing I do. Just one of my habits I picked up when I was studying at university. Made it hard to get assignments done but at least the house was clean.
Hope this one has given you a minor glimpse into our cleaning time. The biggest thing I can say is; There will be days where your house is completely trashed, don’t judge yourself over these days cos we all have them. Just remember your house is your child/rens home, don’t make it a display house. Let the kids make a mess. It’s all about having fun and spending time with them. That what they will remember. The time spent making memories, not the mess.